We are 2 backpackers on a working holiday visa. We have arrived in Australia 4 weeks ago.
We chose Young for our first experience in the cherry picking. Young is a small city in the New South Wales, about 4 hours from Sydney. We have arrived 2 weeks ago and we are planning to stay here until the middle of December, the end of the cherry season.
Our philosophy – nothing is lost, everything is transformed. With the unsold cherries, we made lovely cherry jam. Below is a simple but tasty recipe for backpackers, easy to make during a road trip.
Preparation : 30 minutes Cooking : 25 minutes
- 1,2 kg of cherries
- 1 kg of sugar (Jam sugar) or a mix of sugar and honey
- 35g of lemon juice ( Half a lemon)
- 1 tea spoon of vanilla sugar
Kitchen tools :
- A gas stove
- A source of drinking water
- A pot with a sufficient volume to contain all the cherries and sugar
- Another pot with a sufficient volume to sterilise the glass jars.
- Glass jars for 1kg of jam
- Rinse the cherries under water, remove the stalk and pit them
- In a pot, add the sugar and the cherries together and start cooking.
- In the other pot sterilise the jars for 10 minutes in boiling water. Leave the jars into the water until you use them.
- Stir well and bring to the boil. Then let cook for 25 minutes.
- After boiling, turn heat to medium
- Check the jam regularly with a tea spoon. The jam will ready when the drop flows slowly on the spoon.
- Add the lemon juice
- As soon as the jam is cooked, fill in the jars, clean them, close them and put them upside down until they get completely cold
Nutritional information :
Fresh cherries are rich in beta-carotene (undiluted vitamin A), vitamin E and vitamin C (9 mg per 100g), this fruit on its own does not cover the recommended dietary allowance in adult.
The fibre and mineral found in the cherries have a slightly laxative effect.
A decoction of the cherries stalk has a diuretic effect and has a detoxifying action (You have to drink enough water). It also relieves urinary tract infections.
We think pancakes are going very well with the cherry jam. Here is the recipe of the pancake for backpackers.
We hope you like it. Enjoy and please leave your comments
Latest posts by Kangatrip (see all)
- 5 Day Northern Territory Adventure Tour - October 6, 2017
- Online competition – Win a Barista Training Course in Australia - October 22, 2015
- Another recipe of lemon tart - May 6, 2015